top of page
USA Flag

Tax Services

At SBS Tax, we can prepare your non-resident US tax return, making sure you receive all available treaty benefits and deductions available in order to minimize your US taxes.

Our team is committed to understanding our client’s unique needs, as every tax situation is different and requires a personal approach in providing realistic and effective solutions.

Everyone who earns income while in the U.S or invests in the U.S must file a U.S annual tax return, but the IRS has two different tax forms for residents and non-residents. However, some people may not be U.S citizens or Green Card holders, but they still use the same tax form and file the same way as U.S citizens or Green Card holders. They are considered U.S tax residents.

The IRS has two ways to identify whether you are a non-tax resident or tax resident:

  • Green card test, which basically awards your status as a “lawful permanent resident” through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. 

  • Substantial presence test, which proves that you were in the country for at least 31 days during the current year, and 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before.


If you meet one of two tests, you are a U.S tax resident, and you can use tax form 1040 to file your annual U.S tax return.  If you don’t meet either test, you are a non-resident alien, and you are considered a non-resident for tax purposes, so you will use tax form 1040-NR to file your annual U.S tax return.

Typical Questions We Often Answer:

  • Can you help me to identify the tax status for me since I have been living in the U.S for 3 years with many travel histories of depart and entry of the U.S?

  • Do I have to report my US income and investments if I don’t live in the US?

  • Do I have to report the income and assets in my home country on my US taxes?

  • I am going to receive my green card in the middle of the tax, will it affect my tax status? 

  • What happens if I sell my US investment property as a non-resident?

  • What benefits are available for a visiting student or professor?

  • I know that there is a tax treaty between my home country and the U.S, how does it work?

US non-resident tax returns are unique as they may involve tax treaty benefits or income from multiple countries. For non-resident alien tax, these treaties can often reduce or eliminate U.S. tax on various types of personal services and other income, such as pensions, interest, dividends, royalties, and capital gains.

Let Us Know if We Can Help


During the consultation, we will assess your tax situation to understand your needs, and then we will provide you with a quote. You will receive a fixed fee pricing for the tax service that we are going to provide to you. 

Our goal is to make the filing process as simple as possible, so you can understand what is going to do and how we can benefit you moving forward.   If the IRS has questions about your return, we’re there for you and will handle the correspondence with the IRS at no charge. 

Please connect with us to learn more using our Contact form. Thank you!

bottom of page